Are You Talking To Me(me)?
This is a stolen meme from a mate who I know won’t mind. Thanks, Rol.
1. You’re building your dream house. What’s the one thing that this house absolutely, positively MUST HAVE? (other than the obvious basics of course)
A library. Preferably with one of those ladders on the wheels, and a fireplace. And an nice big comfy chair. And windows that reach all the way to the ceiling. Ah…that’s all.
2. What is your dream car?
I always thought the old EH Holden’s looked cool. Bench seats do offer so many opportunities.
3. What is your favourite website that isn’t a blog?
Probably CBR – that’s the sort of news I check regularly. Does Google Reader count because that site’s not a blog?
4. iPhone 4 or Droid, which do you want?
“These aren’t the iPhone 4’s you’re looking for.” Nah, that just doesn’t sound as cool.
5. When you’re feeling down or lonely or just generally out of sorts, what do you do to cheer yourself up?
When I’m like that, strangely enough, I clean. Dishes, rooms, it’s a terrible habit that requires I go through some sort of melancholy periodically just to keep a tidy abode.
6. Tell me about something or someone that you love that most people seem to hate.
I have a best mate who always knew how to rub people the wrong way but I absolutely love him to death.
7. What do you want to be when you grow up?
Man, I gotta stop thinking like that. I’m about to become a father and yet I do still think that thought. I guess, realistically, I am, mostly, what I want to be. I’m insanely happily married, I’ve got a kid on the way, and I am a writer. Not a published one, but I write every day nonetheless.
8. Would you go on a reality show if given the chance?
I’m still waiting for them to do a reality show about writing. I’d be all over that. I guess that’s why I started thoughtballoons, it’s kind of like a reality show. Each week we choose a character, we then have to create one page of comic script about that character. It’s on the clock, it’s ever-changing, and it’s just good quality.
9. Who was your favourite teacher when you were growing up?
I had this lady in Year 4, Mrs Pearson, and she was just awesome. I leant her The Eyes of The Dragon after I read it, and then she told me about reading The Silence of the Lambs. She was pretty cool like that. She was the main reason I became a teacher. I even went back and found her after I had been teaching for a few years. I told her what an inspiration she was for me. It was a nice moment.
10. You get one pass to do something illegal or immoral. What are you gonna do?
Who said I ever needed a pass to do something illegal and/or immoral?
11. What were you doing 10 years ago?
I was in my first year at uni, preparing to become a teacher by discovering white wine in a bag and yet still getting top grades in many of my classes. Those grades would slowly drop as four years of white wine took their toll.
12. By this time next year, I…
Wouldn’t mind having something published, be it comic, novel, or short story. Hell, someone could even produce the short film screenplay I wrote. That would be nice but otherwise, back in reality, I’d just like to be finding plenty of time for my wife and son, still have some time to read and write, and find that life is as rosy as it is now.
13. Do you think the United States will elect a female President in your lifetime? Do you think this would be a good thing?
I think they’ll elect the best person for the job every time, or at least I hope they try to. If a dominant female shows themselves eligible for the job then I’d vote for them. Australia just got their first female leader so you never know.
14. Which fictional TV show character would you shag anytime?
Ha, easy one, Kate from LOST. I don’t mind running filthy thirds on that choice.
15. What is your favourite Quentin Tarantino movie?
I hate to sound like a pretentious tool but True Romance is such a damn fine script. I really dig it. From his actual films I’d say Reservoir Dogs has stood the test of time as being a true masterpiece.
16. What is your favourite Robert Rodriguez movie?
I’m subbing this in instead of Rol’s Doctor Who question; I feel this’ll really sort the men from the lads. It’s a tough question but I’d possibly say Desperado as it’s the one that really feels like a Rodriguez flick. Sin City was pretty awesome, I thought, and Planet Terror was just downright perfect. Call it a three-way tie and I’ll be happy.
17. What’s your favourite slow song?
Miss Misery by Elliott Smith is technically slow, but it’s probably not something to dance to. James stole Twilight Time so I’d probably have to go with my wedding song, As Time Goes By. It was also the wedding song of my parents.
18. Do you have a nickname? What is it?
I went so very very long with a nickname but then finally got one at uni, and it was Bone. And it doesn’t mean whatever you think it might mean. It doesn’t actually mean anything , it was a gag name. I got Kingfisher with the soccer/cricket lads in my old town and most other mates just call me Rhyno.
19. What are you dreading at the moment?
Being a father. Can I say that? Sure, I’m damn well looking forward to it as well, but any man who’s willing to be honest has to admit that he’s dreading this moment too. It’s the big game changer and nothing will ever be the same again. I just think it’ll be in a good way but I guess time has to tell on that one.
20. Do you worry that others will judge you from reading some of your answers?
For that last one, probably, yeah.
21. In two words, explain what ended your last relationship.
22. What were you doing this morning at 8am?
Waiting for a parent for a mid-year interview. Probably checking my work email to make sure my short film making camp for next week has all the kinks worked out.
23. Do you have any famous relatives?
My brother wrote the short film, The Pessimist. Perhaps you caught it as it surfed most festivals in Australia and even made it to Venice. Or maybe you’ve been to his site!
24. How many different beverages have you had to drink today?
I’ve only had glasses of water. How sad am I?
25. What is something you are excited about?
Can I say being a father here as well? I’m pretty excited about getting 2 weeks holidays very soon. Plenty of time to read and write and maybe even catch up on that third season of Rescue Me, finally.
26. When was the last time you spoke in front of a large group?
A really large group? Um, I can’t honestly remember the last time I talked in front of more than 50 people. 50 or less is pretty common though, and I teach, which involves talking in front of a room full of kids each and every day.
27. When you looked at yourself in the mirror today, what was the first thing you thought?
I’m the Ryan Lindsay machine. Zero defects. – Full marks to anyone who can tell me where I just stole that quote from.
28. What were you doing at midnight last night?
Sleeping and getting ready for my middle of the night whiz; I always launch a big water into me before bed purely so I can get up in the middle of the night just to appreciate that I have more sleep left ahead of me. It’s a sick game I play on myself but I love it.
29. What’s a word you say a lot?
30. Who is your worst enemy?
Ooh, that dastardly Kryptonite known as writer’s block has stumped me a few times, and yet we continue to tussle.
Posted on June 24th, 2010 by ryan
Filed under: Uncategorized