Fate – Issue 1 – 9 Page Teaser
What follows are the first 9 pages of my Fate mini series. These pages are here for the perusal of artists interested in collaboration on this work, or others. Any comments are welcomed.
1. We are looking down at a body in bed, it is a POV shot from the person in bed. The body is covered by the sheet, but we can still see the arms and chest, the sheet only comes up to the waist. The person is wearing some sort of superhero costume. The predominant colour is red.
-Caption: What the fuck?
2. The person is looking across at the machines to his left.
-Caption: Did I have some massive bender?
-Caption: What happened?
-Caption: What was the last thing…
3. The person looks at their hands.
-Caption: …Uh…fuck, something’s not right here.
-Caption: What was…um, fuck…fuck, can’t concentrate. What was…
4. The person is looking out the window.
-Caption: Where am I? Uh…fuck!
-Caption: Trace it back.
5. The person looks back down at his body, he is lifting the sheet slightly.
-Caption: What the fuck? You couldn’t have gotten that drunk, just think.
6. The person looks up at the roof, we can see the IV on the right side, his headboard above him.
-Caption: I’d start at the start…
-Caption: … but…who the fuck am I?
1. Detective Mills is standing on a street corner, leaning against a post, his eyes steely, he is really looking at something. He is about 50 and looks pretty grizzled. An Ed Harris type role.
-Caption: They all think they’re so fucking good.
2. A guy with a shaved head is walking out of an Irish pub. He is pretty muscly, nothing crazily special. Wearing average clothes, you wouldn’t pick him for a super.
-Caption: Right up until they end up in my sights. Until they end in my sights.
3. Mills is walking up to the guy.
-Mills: Oi, cockhead!
4. Guy turns and looks annoyed/scared/apprehensive. He’s dealt with Mills before and knows it can be dangerous.
-Caption: He’s thinking about it.
-Mills: If you think you can bust your razzle dazzle before I can put a hole in your head, go for it.
-Caption: They always think about it. Either way I’ll get what I want.
5. The guy looks defeated.
-Mills: Don’t talk to me like that, I’m sure you know exactly…
6. There is a massive boom from up above them.
-Caption: If it’s not one of them it’s a stack of them, starting a war that fucks up the city.
7. Mills is looking up, so is the guy. The top of the building across the road has been fucked up, the top three floors look like an asteroid hit them. They are just knocked in, from the one side and rubble and shit is falling down.
-Mills: Fuck me swinging.
1. Doctor’s are rushing in a stretcher. There is one lead doctor, about 35, red hair (but not bad ginger hair, a proud red). His name is Doctor Bruce.
Bruce: Get the OR ready, we’ve got all sorts of problems here.
-Nurse: Anything specific, Dr Bruce?
-Bruce: Everything specific.
-Bruce: This is Fate. Prometheus just clocked him on that roof. The fact that he’s still breathing defies explanation. He’s completely out of it, but I don’t wanna take any chances. This is a completely new case here.
2. The nurse looks concerned.
-Nurse: Fate? Are we safe treating him here?
3. Bruce is looking at a chart.
-Bruce: I have no idea, but that wouldn’t change anything anyway. We have to treat him.
-Bruce: The officers on the ride here said they were not getting any trace of his power. Almost like it has shut down, at least for the moment.
4. The stretcher is busting through a door, into an operating room.
-Nurse: Can that happen? Has that ever happened before?
-Bruce: I have no idea. I’m more concerned about keeping him alive right now than worrying about it.
-Nurse: I know plenty of people who would be quite the opposite.
5. Mills is standing at the door.
-Bruce: You have to wait outside, Detective Mills.
-Mills: I know. But I’ll be waiting right here.
-Bruce: That’s fine. If his condition changes I’ll let you know.
-Mills: I’m sure I’d know anyway.
6. Bruce is looking across at Fate, preparing to go into surgery.
-Bruce: This man is a patient, first and foremost. Once he’s stable you can deal with all the other stuff.
1. A very stocky and muscly bad guy is standing on a roof. His name is Gravedigger, his costume should probably reflect that. Some sort of death mask, he has to have a mask. He has really thick arms, I picture him much in the same vein as Crossbones from the Cap books. He is on the roof of a big building, a tall building in town. He has some strange sort of gun in his hand, it looks kind of alien, powered by a crystal perhaps. It is a gun that can hurt Prometheus, perhaps it is mystically based.
-Digger: How long does it fucking take? Prometheus should be here by now.
2. Gravedigger is looking through a pair of binoculars.
-Digger: You’d think a crazy fuck like Prometheus would be all over this.
3. We see Fate, through the binoculars, standing on his rooftop, there is a woman standing nearby.
-Digger: Fate is in place and we know Prom knows. What the fuck is taking him?
4. Gravedigger is kind of cocking the gun setting it to go.
-Digger: His plan is pretty simple. Lure Prom in and then I blast the fuck out of him. Hopefully the crystals in this piece work.
-Digger: He’ll never see it coming. End of story.
5. Prometheus is flying in in the distance. Prometheus is like the Punisher if he had Superman’s powers. He has a pimp suit and he is showing his face he has no secret identity.
-Digger: Here he comes, fucking idiot.
-Digger: All that power, but really no brains. I don’t know how he’s made it.
6. Gravedigger is aiming his weapon at Prometheus as he goes by. Really lining him up, perhaps we are looking over his shoulder and down the gun.
-Digger: I guess it all comes down to timing.
-Digger: Waiting for the right moment and then striking.
7. Gravedigger lifts the gun up, clearly aiming away from Prometheus.
-Digger: Or not striking.
1. Gravedigger is putting the gun in the back of his pants.
-Digger: I admit I stole pretty liberally from his plan.
2. Gravedigger is picking up a bag from the ground, a sort of army type duffle bag.
-Digger: My plan is also pretty simple.
-Digger: He never even saw it coming.
3. Back in the distance we see the building Fate was on getting annihilated, Prometheus, small, just smashing in on the top three floors. Gravedigger is facing away.
-Digger: End of story.
1. Playgirl is standing in the foyer of a lavish mansion. There is white marble and shitty fountains as far as the eye can see, maybe even a tiger in a small little bubble enclosed tiger dome of trees and shit. Playgirl is the fastest person on the planet, and the sexiest. Her outfit should be built for speed, but show off a damn fine body. She has blonde hair. She has metal plates that cover her forearms, she uses them in combat. She looks ready for action, and is seeing it right behind us, the ever faithful viewer. She is battling Baron Krollo, a fat and balding almost German looking guy who thinks his money gives him the right to play in the big boy sandbox.
-Baron Krollo: Playgirl, it ends now for someone. There is no way you can save them all. So who is it going to be?
2. There is a bus with some nuns on it hanging off a bridge.
-Caption: The nuns from Sister Ester’s on their way to a book fair?
3. A group of twins are being lowered into a vat of acid in a dank factory type place.
-Caption: The Presidential Twins, Eli and Ezekiel?
4. A doctor’s surgery in a residential area.
-FX: Tick, tick, tick, tick
-Caption: Doctor Easle’s New Exploding Baby Clinic?
5. A man is stuck in a chair with a shot gun facing him and some strings attached to his sleeping daughter who is by the pool and the gun. His chair is located in an empty swimming pool.
-Caption: Or, Mr Ernst’s bonding session with his quickly developing daughter.
6. We see Playgirl from behind, she is on the left of the panel, and we see Baron Krollo, in all his sweaty glory, standing down in the room.
-Playgirl: You really expect me to make one choice?
7. The camera has shifted left and we see Krollo, but where Playgirl should be, she is not. Krollo is blinking, or emphasising his point by speaking with closed eyes, which some people do…
-Krollo: You could just ignore them all and stay here with me…
8. We have continued to move left, and Playgirl is now back, and on the right of screen.
-Playgirl: How did you make your money? You really aren’t smart.
-Krollo: You just went and took care of them all, didn’t you?
-Playgirl: Why don’t you tell me?
1. Krollo is dialling a mobile phone.
-Krollo: Maybe I will.
2. Krollo is speaking into a mobile phone.
-Krollo: Jenkins, what is your position?
3. We see a thug in the bus that is now falling off the bridge and into the river. He looks pretty scared.
-Jenkins: Krollo! She trapped us in here!
4. Krollo is just about to turn the phone off, but it is still talking, even if he is not listening.
-Jenkins(in phone): Baron! We’re fu….kkkkkkkkk…
5. Playgirl is holding up her arms, the metal plates glinting in the light, grinning at Krollo.
-Playgirl: And so are you, Baron Krollo.
6. Playgirl flies in on Krollo, we see about 4 of her striking Krollo at the one time, that is how fast she is. She is using the metal plate, at sonic speed, to bust Krollo up. She is breaking his right kneecap, his left forearm, the back of his skull, and as he is now slightly leaning forward from that blow, his nose in a gushy display of bone and blood.
7. Playgirl is looking down at Krollo, poor broken Krollo who is crying from the pain.
-Playgirl: One second.
8. Krollo is kinda flinching, expecting the final blow to be coming.
9. Playgirl is standing in front of him victorious and proud.
-Playgirl: More like a nanosecond, really. Had to go stop the other 3 things. Lucky you called Jenkins, what are the odds of that?
1. Mills is standing outside of the hospital. He has his hands in his pockets and looks gruff. There are about 5 other officers standing around him.
-Mills: We need to get this whole thing locked down. Information is slipping out faster than we can find out about it.
2. Mills is looking at one of the officers.
-Mills: As we were finding out that Fate up there is Ben Schultz word was already hitting the streets and all of the wrong avenues.
3. The officers around Mills are all taking it very seriously.
-Mills: We are going to have one absolute shitstorm here, and we need to be prepped and have all the info. Preferably before all of them do.
4. Mills face looks serious.
-Mills: A lot of the information getting out is going to be garbled or just completely misinformed. I need you guys to have it all absolutely right, and to keep your fucking mouths shut.
5. Mills is pointing to two of the officers.
-Mills: Your job will be to protect Ben Schultz at all costs, but also to keep an eye on him. Make sure there is nothing out of the ordinary.
6. Mills is pointing to another two officers.
-Mills: You two will be coming with me. It seems that Schultz has a boy, 4 years old, and he’s at day care right now. We’re going to go get him.
1. Ben is sitting up in bed, he still looks confused to be in his body.
-Caption: Why am I in hospital?
-Caption: Why won’t anyone talk to me?
-Caption: Why can’t I remember anything?
2. Ben is looking down at his pants under the sheets.
-Caption: I’ve got these goofy red pants on. Kinda spandex, kinda padded. What am I? A professional bike rider?
-Caption: A stunt man?
-Caption: Oh, God, not a professional wrestler?
3. Ben is looking at his exposed chest.
-Caption: Maybe I’m an actor? I got injured in a scene and they brought me in here?
4. Ben looks up to find a doctor actually walking into his room.
-Caption: But then, why won’t anyone talk to me?
-Caption: Ah, here’s a soul who might know.
5. The Doctor sits down in a chair about a metre and a half away from Ben’s bed. Clearly enough distance between them that it is noticeable. He is just a number of many nameless, faceless doctors.
-Doctor: How are you feeling this afternoon?
6. Ben is sitting forward, clearly looking pissed, yet trying to restrain it. The doctor is writing in his pad.
-Ben: How do you think I feel? Honestly, how do you think? I’m the one in here who can’t remember who he is, how he got here or why no one will tell him anything, yet you’re the one asking me questions!
All characters and writing are property and copyright of Ryan K Lindsay